I have a bit of a sweet tooth. While I don’t eat sugary, buttery desserts I do need something sweet at the end of my night. My usual go to is a few yam cookies with raw honey and a couple of squares of dark chocolate. Nothing too crazy but it keeps me satisfied and happy.
Sometimes I do like to get a little more creative with my desserts. The other night I had roasted a bunch of beets to put on my new favorite dinner salad. I had some left over and decided to turn them into a chocolate beet pudding. Sounds crazy? Beets have always reminded me of dark chocolate, and their natural sweetness is perfect for a veggie based dessert!
After a few experiments I ended up with this pudding. The color reminds me of red velvet cake, and so does the taste. It’s chocolaty, earthy, and just sweet enough. Hey, if you can make a dessert out of vegetables why not? For a little extra fun you could serve this topped with cacao nibs, or small pieces of dark chocolate.
Just a note, if you are not a beet lover like me this pudding probably won’t convert you. However, if you love the AMAZINGNESS that is the beet I urge you to try this pudding. You will thank me later!
Red Velvet Pudding
- 2 cups roasted beets (you can either roast your own or buy pre-cooked beet like Love Beets)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp liquid stevia
- Preheat oven to 350
- Wash beets thoroughly. Wrap each beet in tin foil and bake at 350 for one hour.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, gently rub off the skin using a cloth.
- Chop beets into small pieces.
- Combine all ingredients in a Vitamix or high-speed blender.
- Adjust sweetness to taste
- Allow to chill in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes before eating