With a very small person in the house who needs most of my attention, dinners have been fairly simple affairs the past few months. By the time Hermione goes to sleep at night the last thing I want to do is start cooking a complicated meal. I am much more interested in quickly ingesting something fresh and healthy so I can get some sleep myself before she wakes up and needs me. Fortunately the Hamptons are overrun with farm stands selling produce so fresh it needs little manipulation from me to turn it into a meal.
I am also lucky that Doug loves grilling (is their a man that doesn’t?) which makes summer dinners even easier! Is there anything better than freshly grilled food eaten outdoors on a summer night? Perhaps if you throw a chilled glass of rose into the mix!
Grilling romaine is a fun way to play around with your salad. I love it paired with the creamy, spicy avocado dressing!
Grilled Romaine with Spicy Avocado Dressing
- 2 hearts of romaine
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- sea salt
- Heat a charcoal grill or grill pan
- Using your hand lightly rub the outside of each romaine heart with coconut oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Grill the romaine until lightly brown on all sides
- Top with Spicy Avocado Dressing before serving
Spicy Avocado Dressing
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 jalepeno sliced, seeds removed
- 1 medium avocado
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup water
- sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender or Vitamix until smooth
- Add more water to thin out dressing if necessary
- Adjust spiciness to taste