In this polar vortex of a winter I have found it hard to eat many salads. By the time dinner rolls around I am not only exhausted but am also craving hearty, comforting foods. Make that hearty, comforting, easy to prepare foods! Most nights I have been dining on a simple roasted sweet potato with some sautéed greens…or something along those lines. When I feel like something a little more exciting I have been making a large bowl of this salad. If I roast the beets and fennel ahead of time it take me only minutes to throw together and is oh so satisfying.
This salad combines three of my favorite foods- grapefruit, beets and avocado. Throw a little roasted fennel into the mix and I am in heaven! I could eat this every night. Especially right now when grapefruits are at their peak and are so sweet and delicious-not bitter at all!
Avocado, Grapefruit, Beet and Fennel Salad
- 1 avocado
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 3 medium beets
- 1 grapefruit
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400
- Trim the fronds and bottom off the fennel bulbs, then slice in half length wise. Cut each half into approximately 1/2″ semi-circles.
- Trim the tops and bottom of the beets and cut them into medium sized chunks
- Place the fennel and beets on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast until both the beets and fennel are tender-about 30-40 minutes.
- Peel the grapefruit and cut into small sections.
- Slice the avocado into wedges.
- Once the fennel and beets have roasted and cooled toss all the ingredients gently in a small bowl so the grapefruit juice can coat the others.
- Season with sea salt and serve.