This past weekend was one of indulgence. Doug and I were in East Hampton for the holiday weekend, and we certainly made the most of it. We checked out the Hampton’s Film Festival, ate an amazing dinner at Tom Colicchio’s new Topping Rose House ( it was very dark so sadly no photos), rode the new Soul-Cycle bikes at the Bridgehampton Barn, and spent many hours lazing around. It was the perfect way to end my Birthday Week (yes I said week). There is no place I would rather be than by the beach with my husband and dog. It truly is my happy place.
One of the culinary highlights of the weekend was a true indulgence for me. On Sunday afternoon we went to Milk Pail Orchards, for a very autumnal lunch.
Amidst the pumpkin patches we indulged in roasted corn (picked that morning!), hot apple cider, and best of all fresh sweet potato fries. Normally I would not touch anything fried but something about a crisp autumn day and local sweet potatoes made it hard to resist! It was certainly a treat but very well worth it!
While the made to order sweet potato fries were incredibly delicious, they did leave me feeling sluggish and sleepy for the rest of the afternoon. Perhaps it was the rainstorm, but once we got home I took a very long nap. Certainly the fried food had something to do with that!
There is no reason delicious food has to leave you full and exhausted. These oven baked sweet potato fries are the perfect alternative to my Sunday indulgence. They are still crispy and salty, yet much better for you. Served with spicy beet ketchup they are a great treat!
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 T coconut oil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Pre- heat the oven to 425.
- Slice the sweet potato into fry- like spears.
- Place sweet potato spears on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Rub with coconut oil until throughly coated.
- Sprinkle generously with sea salt and balck pepper.
- Bake at top rack of oven for 30-35 minutes or until the sweet potato spears brown at edges.
- Serve with Beet Ketchup.
- 2 medium beets roasted and peeled (or one package Love Beets)
- 2 small cloves of garlic
- 1 T coconut or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp onion powder
- stevia to taste
- Blend all ingredients in a Vitamix or high speed blender until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.